The City of Brandon is introducing a flood protection subsidy program for property owners
The Sewer Back-up Subsidy Program will provide subsidy funding for property owners that are wanting to install either a sump pump and pit or a backwater valve in their home or business.
Funding will be available for up to 75% of the total materials and installation cost up to a maximum of $2,500 for the sump pump and pit and up to a maximum of $1,500 for the backwater valve. Work must be done by a licensed plumber.
The program is open for all property owners within City of Brandon boundaries starting on March 29th.
Other qualifications for the program are:
- Obtain a quote from a licensed plumber.
- If both components are being installed, the quote must list the two items separately to show individual costs.
- The plumber must supply a drawing that includes:
- Location and type of backwater valve relative to basement plumbing
- Location of the sump pit
- Discharge location of sump pump on the exterior of the house
- Apply for a flood protection permit at the A.R. McDiarmid Building, located at 638 Princess Avenue, or via our online portal at permits.brandon.ca.
Applications into the program must be made no later than December 31, 2021, with all work being completed, inspections done, and paperwork being submitted to the City of Brandon by January 15, 2022.